top of page


History of KOMYOIN Temple

In 1391, at the beginning of the Muromachi period (1392-1573), the pagoda of Tofukuji Temple was founded by Myoichiro Kinzan. The temple is home to Marishiten, the guardian deity of victory, and is known as the "rainbow moss temple," with a garden of moss and sand in perfect harmony. Hashin-tei" is a dry landscape garden created by Mirei Shigemori in 1939, featuring three stone arrangements in white sand representing the temple's name, Komyo. The Luogetsuan was built in 1956, and its windows and walls are decorated with moon motifs, allowing visitors to enjoy the moon rising in the eastern sky from the Hashin garden. Marishiten is sometimes represented riding on the moon, and the exquisite design, which is consistent from the temple name to the Luorgetsuan, brings beautiful scenery and peace of mind. The temple's design is also imbued with the lesson that the moon (Buddha's heart) will be reflected in the waves if one abandons his or her worldly desires.

bottom of page